List of body parts idioms about the neck and their meanings
How the idioms are listed
There are 3 parts to each idioms the first part is what the idiom is, then an explanation of what it means and the last part is an example of how to use it in a sentence.
How do I use the list of human body parts idioms A to Z?
To use the list of idioms click on each letter of the alphabet to get the list of the human body parts idioms for that letter.
[ A ] [ B ] [ C ] [ D ] [ E ] [ F ] [ G ] [ H ] [ I ] [ J ] [ K ] [ L ] [ M ] [ N ] [ O ] [ P ] [ Q ] [ R ] [ S ] [ T ] [ U ] [ V ] [ W ] [ X ] [ Y ] [ Z ]
Click on the links below to view
- Body parts idioms about the throat
- Body parts idioms about bones
- Body parts idioms about sweat
- Body parts idioms about blood
- Body parts idioms about the stomach
- Body parts idioms about the heart
- Body parts idioms about the neck
- Body parts idioms about shoulders
- Body parts idioms about the breathe / breath
- Body parts idioms about the backs
These links are not on the A to z of idioms only on the common animals idioms
Human body parts idioms about the neck
break one`s neck (to do something)
- to do all one possibly can, to work very hard to do something
I broke my neck to try and get the report finished on time.
breathe down (someone`s) neck
- to watch someone closely (often by standing right behind them), to pressure someone to do something
My boss has been breathing down my neck all day to pressure me to finish the report.
a crick in one's neck
- a painful cramp in one's neck
I woke up this morning with a crick in my neck.
dead from the neck up
- to be very stupid
My boss seems to be dead from the neck up.
a kink in one's neck
- a cramp in one's neck that causes pain
I have a kink in my neck and it hurts when I turn my head.
a millstone around (someone's) neck
- a burden or handicap for someone
My parents' condominium is a millstone around their neck and they want to sell it.
neck and neck
- exactly even in a race or contest
The two horses were neck and neck at the end of the race.
a pain in the neck
- an annoying or bothersome person or event
Our customer is a pain in the neck and is always complaining about something.
risk one's neck (to do something)
- to risk harm in order to do something
The fireman risked his neck to save the young child.
save (someone`s) neck/skin
- to save someone from danger or trouble or embarrassment
The worker tried to save his own neck without thinking about other people.
stick one`s neck out (for someone or something)
- to do something dangerous or risky for someone
My friend will never stick his neck out to help other people.
up to one's neck (in something)
- to have a lot of something, to be much involved or busy with something
I am up to my neck in work at the moment and will not be able to attend the dinner tonight.
wring (someone's) neck
- to be extremely angry at someone
I want to wring my friend's neck for breaking my new laptop computer.
a yoke around (someone's) neck
- a burden for someone, something that oppresses people
The legal problems of my friend were a yoke around his neck.
Lessons that are related to the exercise
To view any of the lessons below click on link.
Dictionary and how to use dictionaries
Click on the following link for the Online English dictionary - English lesson