List of animal idioms beginning with R and meanings
How does the list works?
There are 3 parts to each idioms the first part is what the idiom is, then an explanation of what it means and the last part is an example of how to use it in a sentence.
How do I use the list of animal idioms A to Z?
To use the list of idioms click on each letter of the alphabet to get the list of the animal idioms for that letter.
[ A ] [ B ] [ C ] [ D ] [ E ] [ F ] [ G ] [ H ] [ I ] [ J ] [ K ] [ L ] [ M ] [ N ] [ O ] [ P ] [ Q ] [ R ] [ S ] [ T ] [ U ] [ V ] [ W ] [ X ] [ Y ] [ Z ]
Animal idioms beginning with R
rain cats and dogs
- to rain very hard
It has been raining cats and dogs all day.
rat on (someone)
- to report someone's bad behavior to someone
The little boy ratted on his friend at school.
rat out on (someone)
- to desert or betray someone
The boy ratted out on his friends. Now they won`t talk to him.
- a rushed and confusing way of living that does not seem to have a purpose
My uncle is tired of being in the rat race every day. He plans to quit his job soon and do something else.
ride herd on (someone)
- to watch closely and strictly supervise someone (as a cowboy would supervise a herd of cattle)
The manager has been riding herd on his employees so that they can finish the job quickly.
a road hog
- a car driver who uses more than his share of the road
The person in front of me on the highway was a road hog but I tried not to get angry.
rub (someone/someone's fur) the wrong way
- to irritate someone (just as you would irritate a dog or cat if you rub their fur the wrong way)
The woman who I work with always rubs me the wrong way.
Lessons that are related to the exercise
To view any of the lessons below click on link.
Dictionary and how to use dictionaries
Click on the following link for the Online English dictionary - English lesson