Learning Idioms and expressions with game learning English lesson
What will I learn from the English lesson Idioms and expressions name?
During this English lesson you will learn how to use idioms and expressions that use the word game. The lesson show each idom and expression with the meaning followed by the an example sentence.
What are idioms?
An idiom (full name is idiomatic expression) can be an expression, word, or phrase that only has a meaning to the native speaker. The meaning of an idiom is total different from the literal meaning of the idiom's individual elements.
There are a lot of idioms and expressions that use the word ‘game’.
Each idiom / expression is followed by its definition / meaning and an example sentence.
Ahead of the game
Ahead of the game means you have an advantage over somebody or something.
- Sarah decided to start preparing for her exam early this will help her stay ahead of the game.
At this stage of the game = It means that you are at a certain point of a process
- I can’t make any comments at this stage of the game.
- It is hard to predict the winner at this stage of the game.
Fun and games = things you find enjoyable.
- Working at high school is not all fun and games it can be hard work.
Give the game away
To give the game away is to reveal a secret.
- I wanted my mothers birthday party to be kept a secret, but my little brother gave the game away.
The name of the game = You can say it's the name of the game when something is important you need to know or to have things in order.
- In cycling, the name of the game is all about stamina and fitness. even if you try as hard as you can, if you haven't trained hard you will not win.
A whole new ball game = a completely different or new situation.
- Yes, he was a famous footballer, but acting is a whole new ball game. I hope he becomes a successful actor.
The game is up The original meaning was 'the game is over - all is lost'. The trick or deception has now been exposed for all to see.
- Sarah told Jason that the game was up and would be moving out the house.
- I realized that the game was up when the company employed a new person in accounts.
Lessons that are related to this one
To view a lesson just click on the link.
Easy pace Learning online dictionary and how to use dictionaries
Click on the following link for the Online English dictionary - English lesson