Simple present tense explained in more detail
What will I be learning from the English lesson simple present tense explained?
During this lesson you will start learning what simple present tense is and how you can use it. The first part of the lesson explains what present tense is and gives you sine examples. Then you will learn the different ways that you can use simple present tense using the verb to be, and time expressions.
There are already a few lessons on simple present tense on the website, we hope you enjoy this lesson as well.
What is simple present tense?
Simple Present tense is when the action is mentioned in a sentence and there is nothing being said that tells you if it has been completed. It is also used to talk about an action that occurs on a regular basis.
Example: - The words highlighted are the action words
- I often watch TV in the afternoon.
- We go to college every day.
- He sometimes goes out on Mondays.
Why is the above examples simple present tense?
- The action (watch) gets repeated.
- The action (go) gets repeated.
- The action (goes out) gets repeated.
In all the examples above there is no mention of the action been completed?
Using the verb to be, do and have
When using simple present tenses you will use these a lot try and remember then if you can.
I / you / we /they / he / she/ it is
I / you /we /they / he/she/ it
I / you /we / they / he/she/ it
Using time expressions
When using present simple tense you will often use time expressions such as usually, always, often, sometimes, seldom, on Mondays, rarely, never, every hour, etc.
Talking about people or just things in general conversation
- People make choices because they can't always have everything they want in life.
- Policemen work in stations.
- Cricket is a very popular sport in India.
Talking about travel plans and timetables
Verbs = go, leave, arrive, start, come, return.
- We arrive in Manchester at 1 p.m.
- The bus leaves in twenty two minutes.
- The school starts next Monday.
Easy pace Learning online dictionary and how to use dictionaries
Click on the following link for the Online English dictionary - English lesson